Step Up to the Roundtable...If You Dare

I originally envisioned this blog as a place for potential future employers to view my writing samples, so I chose to use my name for my blog's URL address as I thought that appeared more professional. My blog has since taken a more personal, casual path, still writing as best I can about my interests but without holding myself to any restrictive "rules." Looking back on it, whether professional or personal, I didn't really have to use my real name.
On the other hand, I'm always slightly perterbed by "anonymous" comments and bloggers. It's just too easy. Isn't part of being an adult being accountable for your actions? Granted, even non-anonymous commentators usually just use funky, weird names instead of their real ones. I never thought I'd have to worry about attaching my name to my writing, but now I kind of envy the freedom anonymous writers have to say anything they want. Not that I'd go around writing about torturing kittens, but still...
I started thinking about this responsibility more in the past month for two reasons. First, I had my own personal experiences with this blog that made me question my own actions as well as those of others, which made me wonder: should I take advantage of the blogosphere's lax rules on identity? Is it too late and, therefore, should I just stick with what I'm doing? Second, in some small way, the James Frey chaos almost mirrored my own predicament regarding personal choices and documenting experiences, opening up a debate that is still continuing all over the web.
Writing on the Internet, it's easy to say whatever you want about whomever you want. Identity, confrontation and accountability are all thrown up in the air. But what if that person showed up at your door? Would you have the guts to tell them to their face?
Which leads me to my two-part Roundtable discussion:
If you could say whatever you wanted to someone face-to-face, with a guarantee that you would receive no negative reaction whatsoever, what would you say and to whom?
And, since there's no consequence to your actions, would you choose to remain anonymous (your identity would be protected) when you told them?
Would you talk to a famous actor? Athlete? Musician? Maybe a scientist? Your next-door neighbor? Your mother?
Maybe you would inform Clint Eastwood that he didn't deserve to be nominated for Best Actor for Million Dollar Baby, or explain to Wendy Pepper that she shouldn't have been in the Top 3 at Fashion Week for Project Runway.
Would you tell Nicole Ritchie and Star Jones that, despite their books, they don't get to refer to themselves as "authors"?
Maybe it isn't something negative you want to get off your chest. Some people embarrass easily, and would therefore prefer to give compliments anonymously. Maybe you would tell Drew Barrymore that you want to lick chocolate off her toes, or inform your local barista that you look forward to his coffee every day.
The only caveat is that the Roundtable does not talk politics or religion, so please keep that in mind.
Basically, I'm handing you the microphone and the spotlight, only no one in the audience can throw tomatoes at you. Whether you reply anonymously, with some made-up name, or with your own, I'd love to hear how and what people would say if given the chance.

19 comments:
I have the same dilemma of having chosen to use my real name for my blog, and although I try my best not to censor myself. I know I do. And I do get freaked out when people in strange countries search Lauren Poulin in Google.
As for what I would say if able to say anything...man, I have so many conversations like this in my head, I sometimes feel that they are all my life is made up of. I am terrible at expressing my anger. And instead I bottle it up, perhaps shed a few awkward tears when I should be yelling, and then spend the rest of my life reliving that moment. Saying the biting words that person deserved. These fake conversations are usually between, but not limited to: terrible ex-boyfriends, rude teachers, disrespectful bosses and my father.
For some reason this stumped me. Do I talk to my General Manager and suggest she go back to her laundromat and stay the hell out of my sales planning? Do I break your rule on politics and toungue-lash the two parties who "run" (gag) this country? Do I tell Angelina Jolie and Julia Roberts that I think they are two of the most over-rated "beauties" in the world and that they are both more evocative of the equine than the erotic? Do I finally acknowledge a mentor or two - search them out and tell them what they've meant to me after all this time? Would I declare to Sophie Marceau that she would be all I need in life? Tell Hillary Swank I think she's the best actress alive today? Or do I default to the easy way out and simply grab a hold of that bitch I knew many years ago and tell her if she was on fire I wouldn't piss on her?
So many choices... so little time.
I have an idea. I think I'll go downstairs and tell my wife I love her. Then I'll get a glass of wine and see what all else say.
No fair coming up with show stoppers Don.
Lauren, I know what you mean about censoring. Sometimes I can't even decide between f*** and fuck.
And I also have imaginary conversations all the time and again, if they actually occur in real life, I blank out and don't say any of the brilliant things I had in my head a minute ago.
RW, that's quite a list there. While I would probably join in your rant against the two political parties, I don't agree about your summation of today's actresses. Although Angelina is way too skinny, I think she and Julia are both different types of beauties and welcome reliefs from the blonde, blue-eyed robots that saturate the media.
And while Hilary has done great in two roles, I don't think two performances qualify her as the best alive (my list of contenders is endless).
And your final decision to tell your wife...awww...be sure to show her that and score a few extra points.
I love what happens when people don't have to censor themselves. You get to see a side of them (usually some form of passion and anger, but not always) you don't otherwise get to see.
To me this is easy:
I would walk up to any gay hating heathen and tell them the way it is. The only problem, though, is that you said "there would be no reaction" to me...thatis like shooting at deers that are chained to trees(not that I do that and even like the idea of that happening--but the metaphor works) there is no fighting and I just don't think it's absorbed--action to reaction is a sexy philosophy because it's what seperates us from the deers(possibly chained to fence).
I also would like walk up to Oprah and tell her that wearing a lot of make up does not make you look any younger...it makes you look old and like a clown. But, again...I would LOVVVVEEE to see her reaction to that.
I never have imaginary conversations. I've always been assertive and have never had a problem expressing my emotions, or asking for something I need or want.
There must be SOMETHING I want to say that I haven't allowed myself to say...
Well now you've done it! I went downstairs to tell my wife I loved her (as me, not as that "anon" guy) and now she has a spa day for Valentine's!!
OH THANKS A LOT DON!!!
I guess I should have specified that there would be no negative consequences for the speaker.
So .25 kid, if you told some homophobe how much he sucks, he would still react, only he couldn't, you know, punch you.
Sereena, I'm impressed. I'm working on it. It's just hard for me to find the right words in the moment. Any tips you'd like to pass on?
Neil, I agree. A lot of bloggers create personas for themselves to act out online what they can't in real life. To each his own, I guess.
RW...I'm, um, sorry...? That's awful...? I don't know what to say. As long as she's happy...
Hmmmmm. I find this fascinating, for a few reasons. First, I had a hard time thinking of anyone I had the urge to confront. Then I had a flurry of ideas. And finally, I had some fairly serious ideas (hello, family) that could have quite genuine negative consequences for me should they track down my comments on this site.
The most interesting options? NBC programming executives, explaining to them why they would save their network if they'd just take over Arrested Development; or the entire American TV-viewing public -- give them all my reasons and persuasions for actually watching Arrested Development.
Perhaps the gentleman recently arrested for burying his puppy alive -- as punishment for digging in the yard -- would benefit from my verbally ripping him a new asshole. Fucker. Does the 'no negative consequences' clause apply even if I exert physical violence? No? Damn. Might actually be worth it.
Or I could tell Jon Stewart how much I luuurrrrvvve him, and how I actually would consider being his mistress if his offer still stands.
I'd love to corner J.K. Rowling and convince her of the importance of throwing her literary weight around in getting Alfonso Cuaron back to direct the film for Half-Blood Prince. He'll put some real magic and beauty and feeling back into the franchise.
I'd spit words like nails at Dr. Stutz, the physician who sent my dad home after telling him he had no blood flow in his foot; I wonder how Dr. Stutz would feel about a below-the-knee amputation.
I'd thank Stephen Colbert profusely for the enjoyment it gave me tonight, as I watched him break character for the first time ever on the Colbert Report and dissolve into giggles -- not once, not twice, but three times.
It would be cool to be able to tell the creator of the animated short -- Boundin' -- just how lovely and warm and endearing and sweetly silly his little film is. And that I purchased the Incredibles DVD not for the Incredibles, but for Boundin'. He's one of those shy types, and I get the feeling he wouldn't stand still long if he knew a litany of compliments was headed his way.
I probably could have been anonymous on my blog. And I considered it, but I think I wanted credit for my writing, my thoughts, even my silly observations. Have I sacrificed a certain level of freedom to express anything by providing my identity? Probably. But it's far more likely that I would offer the same opinion whether or not I'm anonymous -- but with my name attached, I'll take more care in how I choose to express it. It may take more effort, more thought, more creativity. But it's worth it. And I'm up for the challenge.
TD
Online, for privacy, I use a variation of my legal name. I've been involved in internet communities since 1997, and I've had 2.5 stalkers who knew too much about me and imagined that we had a closer relationship than we actually had. (Two of them sent me some interesting gifts. One even hopped on a plane, uninvited...) The half-stalker was a man who pretended to know where I lived and what kind of car I had. He tried to intimidate me ...he was more than a little unhinged.
____________________________
>Any tips you'd like to pass on?
Donny B, I charge $100 an hour for that kind of advice.
Trish, I had the same thought process. When I though of these questions, at first I couldn't really think of any (or any good ones). But then they just start flowing and all of a sudden you have something to say to every person in the world(-sh).
And I loved your last paragraph about wanting credit for you thoughts. You explained it so well.
Redlady, you can say anything to anyone, but you don't have to say everything to everyone. Spare your friends and verbally assault some stranger.
Sereena, $100? Bummer.
Interesting discussion... I think the main reason that I chose to use my real name for my blog ...
oops, wait a minute... let me try this again...
I definitely have the same concerns about having chosen to use my real name. When writing posts, I often think about the fact that my employers could read it, also that my fiance checks it once in a while, and my mom.
Then there is the whole googling thing. I just got a random e-mail from someone who I knew more than ten years ago who said she found my blog through google. It freaked me out a bit.
Oh, and RedLady, Oprah really is a do-gooder.
Stephen, I would guess the role Bach played in fathering 20 children was relatively small (15 minutes a pop -- and that's generous -- you're really only talking about five hours, tops). I'm much more curious about his wife (wives?). Even without composing music, she/they really had their hands full.
TD
Freedom, as you said, is probably the only reason for me to use part of my name only, but what freedom? -- the freedom of feeling more comfortable, lol
In my own case, I have chosen to use a pseudonym, and I also create pseudonyms for the people I talk about who are not public figures.
It has given me more leeway in what I write about (it's less likely that I will have to explain past drug experimentation or my "dances with crackheads" to a prospective employer, for example), but I don't find that it has much effect on the tone I take in "real life" with people I know.
And interestingly, even though I write behind a mask, I do still care what other people think about it, since the mask is basically just an avatar for myself.
Regarding the "no consequences," getting-things-off-your chest question, I'm not sure my behavior would really change much, since my general approach to confrontation is to try to persuade the other person of something. If they can't be persuaded, I'm not likely to expend the effort. And if it's important enough, I find myself increasingly willing to bear the repercussions, at least to a greater degree than I would have been a few years ago.
First off: I use my real name on my blog because... well, because I don't particularly care. 'Tis just a silly movie-review site, after all. It makes no difference to me if Uwe Boll or James Mangold now hates my guts. They bloody well should.
As for the question... well, I work retail in my everyday life. If I could say anything I wanted with no negative response, there'd be a lot of irritating customers who'd get a thorough upbraiding.
How much do I love Donny b? You are so cool for generating discussions like this.
I wish I had remained anonymous, ONLY because my parents are my blog's biggest fans and keep track of it like the FBI. I contemplated starting a second blog for more--ahem--juicy stuff. I actually have started several blogs with very good intentions, but cannot seem to keep up with more than one at a time, if at all. So, whenever I am actually inspired to write in my blog, I write with the knowledge that the people who gave me life are going to be reading it eventually, and frankly, my relationship with my parents is not one where we discuss my sexual escapades and other such fodder that I envision myself writing one day on an uncensored blog.
As for the uninhibited confrontations... I know I have tons of things to say to people that I'm too scared to unveil, but at this moment I can't remember any of them. Damn. This always happens.
Aww, Suzanne, you're so sweet.
and where are those other, more scandalous blogs? They sounds like fun...
I would tell various groups that they shouldn't be so sure they're right about morals and God. I would tell greedy executives to stop being so greedy and share the wealth. I would tell hunters that it's morbid to enjoy watching a living creature suffer. I don't know where I would begin with George W. It would be a long conversation, mostly one way.
Atul
www.uh2l.blogs.com
Post a Comment