6.07.2006

This Roundtable Might Give Your Computer Herpes

Maybe that whole 6-6-06 thing got to me this week, because apparently I’m so cruel as to introduce to you two new songs by two ladies most people would rather not hear about anymore. Evil, indeed.

But I couldn’t bring up one without the other, and I’ll explain why in minute.

First, returning to the scene after taking a break from being both “Beautiful” and “Dirrty,” Christina Aguilera is back with a new single, “Ain’t No Other Man Like You.” It’s retro, big-band horns meets hip-hop drum track, and for the first half of the song that’s all there is to back up Christina’s strong, only-barely-overblown vocals. It’s refreshing to hear a pop song that actually scales back the production instead of smothering it with so many layers of sonic fat, compensating for what’s usually a weak voice in the foreground (not that I’m referring to anyone specifically, of course). Maybe the producers learned something from Kelis’ “Milkshake,” a catchy model of pop minimalism that also became a huge hit.

Christina gets down with her funky self through the first verse, and I couldn’t help but be charmed by the high-school lyrics of “You’ve got soul/You’ve got class/You’ve got style/You’re bad-ass.” I love those classy bad-asses, too, Miss X-tina.

But then it seems like they didn’t know how to deliver with the chorus. It’s rushed and anti-climatic. Strangely, this is the exact opposite of the problem with her notorious single, “Dirrty.” Forget the ass-less leather chaps she wore in the video, I found it odd that no one blamed that song’s lack of success on the fact that it was oddly slow for what was shamelessly trying to be a club anthem. They seemed to have over-compensated with “Ain’t No Other Man,” as the chorus rushes by in a clipped, auctioneer-style speed, making it that much less likely to be chosen at karaoke bars.

As the producers carefully add more layers throughout, the song grows on you, and not like the STD’s that were crawling over my TV screen during her “Dirrty” video, but grows on you in a good way. If I was drunk in a bar and this song came on, I would even love it.

But what I really like about the song is that it’s a creative departure, and, therefore, a risk, by someone with actual musical talent. Unlike the second song that started floating around the internet recently.

If there are any small children in the room, if you have a sensitive gag reflex, or if you have to operate heavy machinery within an hour, you should probably not listen to or watch what I’m about to show you.

Ladies and gentlemen of the roundtable, speaking of STD’s, Paris Hilton has finally released her first song.

Oh, where to start? The thin, breathy vocals? The reggae-tinged backdrop? The poetic, downright philosophical lyrics? Paris is so generous to give us so much to work with. I’m overwhelmed, really.

First of all, can anyone confirm that Paris is actually singing? Those vocals are so manipulated, who knows if she actually showed up in a studio or if they just asked some hooker on the street to whisper into a microphone. The background vocals are whipped up to such creamy frothiness (or is it frothy creaminess?) that I wanted to compare them to Cool Whip, but then I remembered that I love Cool Whip and would never insult it by comparing it to anything that comes out of Paris Hilton’s mouth.

And let’s not forget those lyrics: “even if the gods are crazy/even if the stars are blind.” If the gods are crazy? Shouldn’t the advent of Paris Hilton’s record contract – nay, her record label – prove that there is no god at all? And if the stars are blind, are they also deaf? And if so, can I join them, so I don’t have to listen to this song one more time?

The best part is “If you show me real love, baby/I’ll show you mine.” You heard it from her directly, gentlemen. If you show her some love, she’ll show you her burning, cavernous...love. Thank God I’m gay.

Oh, and don’t forget the video. Just be sure to wash your eyes out with bleach afterwards, so that you never again have to watch this moist, shiny skeleton hump a palm tree. The least convincing part? Where she drives away at the end. Yeah, as if Paris Hilton drives. Or even knows how to drive a car. Or even knows how to spell "car."


Leave it to the hotel heiress to make Christina Aguilera look all classy and stuff. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go spoon out my eyes and ears so I won’t know when Paris Hilton wins a Grammy.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

That girl has more roots than Alex Haley.

Anonymous said...

Please, please, please, dear God in Heaven, make Paris Hilton go away. She's like a national cold sore on the lip of our country.

Sereena said...

A Sephora store threw up all over her face.

Anonymous said...

i just vomited all over my desk...and i couldn't bring myself to watch that wretched video a second time...

Anonymous said...

I can't watch or listen until I'm done with work, but since when is the music industry about the music?

Christina Aguilera is beautiful though and she does have quite a voice.

Anonymous said...

Okay, Sooo. What was that?


Trish

Lauren said...

Grrr - Internet is being painfully slow so my link to your post will have to wait (it's taken me 20 mintues just to get here).

How is Paris still in the lime light? How long is 15 minutes anyways? Perhaps we all love to hate her and if she goes we will have to redirect our pure hatred to other facets of life, like, um, war and tyrants and stuff.

As for Chrissy A - she's got the guilty pleasure market down, and I am a girl that likes her guilty pleasures. But the song is lacking. And I think I prefered the ass-less chaps.

Anonymous said...

I don't know, Stephen. Are we ready for Paris Hilton aspiring to be the next Laurie Anderson?

Shove over. I need a drink.

Prego said...

I've tuned out of pop culture because of things like this. Didn't Ozzy's frumpy daughter have a record out?

And that video? As predictable as rain.

yellojkt said...

I'm trying to figure out who's the pimp and who's the ho in this combo. Xtina has the pipes but Paris has the buzz. Some sort of Mutual Musical Reach Around going on.

Donny B said...

Wait, am I supposed to believe that no one actually likes Paris Hilton? C'mon, isn't that why she's on the cover of so many magazines? Because she has so many fans, right? It can't be because she's some kind of desperate, egomaniacal media whore, right? Right?

glomgold said...

Ho no! Barrffff!!!!

glomgold said...

Thank god my browser is smart enough to know not to load the song/video.

Trish said...

Donny, I think we're just the wrong audience. My 15 year-old niece just attended a friend's birthday party, and said friend happens to have Paris Hilton as her all-time hero. (I don't know.) In any event, said friend's family -- who are apparently just rolling in greenbacks at each of their several homes located across the globe -- arranged to have Ms. Hilton attend the party. So Brynn (my niece) now has a photo of her with Paris posted proudly on her MySpace page.

I wish I were kidding.

If you haven't seen it yet, you absolutely MUST see the South Park episode where they ripped on Paris Hilton. It is excellent. It's from Season 8, it first aired in December of 2004 (Matt & Trey were so ahead of the curve), and the episode is called, "Stupid Spoiled Whore Video Playset." Check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stupid_Spoiled_Whore_Video_Playset

TD

Trish said...

By the way -- your write up on these two walking petri dishes is terrific. I keep thinking I love you as much as is possible considering we've never actually met, and then you write this and a whole new level of anonymous adoration comes into existence.

TD